donate button

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

LA Comedy Shorts by Steve Gast




Part 1 - One small step for Steve...

Less than three months from now is the most awesomely awesome film festival of all time, and I cannot wait to go back.  In anticipation of this epic event, I will take a look back at the highlights of LACS 2011...

After my first film Last Call had finished it's run, I had come to realize that comic short films get about as much respect as Rodney Dangerfield.  The last festival I screened at played Last Call in the basement of a restaurant for a crowd of ten elderly people on a tv screen about the size of the computer monitor I am staring at now.  Meanwhile the "real" film makers were screening their work across the street in a theater to a packed audience.  Just a wee bit frustrating.

I didn't want to go through that again with my second film Killing Kevin, so I researched comedy film festivals.  The first one that popped up was the LA Comedy Shorts Film Festival:

http://www.lacomedyshorts.com/lacs2012/about.htm

I had missed the deadline to enter Kevin, but the networking and learning opportunities were too good to pass up.  Also, I had yet to visit LA which is kind of must since it is the capital of breast implants.  Oh yeah and movies too.

So I took a leap of faith, purchasing my VIP pass and plane ticket.

Upon arrival at the theater I was greeted by the festival directors Ryan, Jeannie and Gary.




These are some seriously good people.  Even though I wasn't screening a film, they treated me like one of their own.  I have wallflower tendencies in crowds especially when I don't know anyone, but they were quick to introduce me the staff and other film makers.  Everyone was beyond cool and welcomed me in to the group.  Well except for one guy, who decided halfway through our conversation that I wasn't worth talking to.  Mentally kicking that guy in the knee now.  But everyone else was great.

"Everyone else" included the celebrities too.  At one point I found myself in the small VIP room with  Curb Your Enthusiasm's Jeff Garlin, Who's Line Is It Anyway's Wayne Brady, and Kids in the Hall's Scott Thompson.  I admit I was too much a wuss to talk to any of them, but I could have because they were the most down to earth people you will ever meet.  I did work up the courage to talk to Progressive Flo (Stephanie Courtney) and babbled about her cameo on Angel as a robot librarian.  Her response was very polite despite me blasting geek creeper vibes.

The films.  Holy cripe.  Block after block of side-splitting, crazy, beyond creative films.  And almost all were Hollywood level production value.  The writing, the acting, the cinematography, all perfect.  Not going to lie, it was a little depressing. 

That said it was also inspiring.  Meeting people my age doing what I want to do at that level was unbelievable.  The panels featured normal people who had quit their dayjobs and were now getting paid to do what they love.  HELL YES!  I came home and wrote several shorts, re-energized and ready to join the party.  It might be this year, it might be three years from now, but it's going to happen.

Speaking of parties, one last thought on the LACS after parties - free Revel Stoke Spiced Whiskey is awwwesome.  Like a warm, gentle nipple tweak in a glass.

As I continue my tribute to the LA Comedy Shorts Film Festival, I will feature some of the coolest people I met and share their oh so entertaining films.  Prepare to get your LOL on...

No comments:

Post a Comment